Image Credit source: Agriculture Department, Odisha
PMFBY: The Odisha government has directed insurance companies to settle crop payment claims made by farmers at the earliest. The decision came after protests by farmers in the state demanding payment of insurance claims.
Odisha government has directed insurance companies to credit all crop insurance claims in the bank accounts of farmers within a couple of weeks.Crop Insurance Claims) completely disposed of. Last week the farmers of Padampur block of Bargarh district (FarmersThis order of the government has come after the agitation by ) demanding payment of insurance claims. The Prime Minister’s Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)PMFBY) had closed all government offices in the sub-divisional headquarters and staged a sit-in to demand immediate payment of their crop insurance claims. In view of the demands of the farmers during Kharif season, the state government gave its decision after this.
Chief Secretary Suresh Mohapatra cautioned the regional heads of insurance companies that farmers’ issues cannot be delayed and all their genuine claims should be paid on priority. Any delay in this matter will be taken seriously by the Government. The Chief Secretary reviewed the performance of insurance companies in settlement and distribution of crop insurance claims of farmers at the State Level Crop Insurance Coordination Committee here, after which he directed the Departments of Agriculture and Farmers’ Empowerment, Food Supplies and Consumer Welfare and Odisha Space Applications. Along with that, the center will prepare a plan for crop wise ‘area and yield estimation’ through modern technology.
34,000 farmers have got insurance in 2021-22
According to The New Indian Express, outgoing Director of Agriculture and Food Production Muthu Kumar told in the meeting that in the Kharif season of 2021, about 12.30 lakh farmers with 10.50 lakh hectare crop land were enrolled, while in the Rabi season of 2021-22 about 34,000. Farmers and 41,000 hectares of crop land were enrolled. Under PMFBY, 98 per cent of the premium amount for each crop is provided by the central and state governments on an equal basis while the remaining 2 per cent is contributed by the farmer concerned.
These crops will be insured
The Chief Secretary asked the concerned departments to bring maximum number of non-loanee farmers under PMFBY during the current Kharif and upcoming Rabi seasons, saying that the last date for enrollment for Kharif insurance is July 31. It was decided in the meeting that eight crops for Kharif season 2022 and nine crops for Rabi season 2022-23 would be covered under the crop insurance scheme. While paddy, groundnut, maize, tur, ragi, cotton, ginger and turmeric will be covered under crop insurance during Kharif and paddy, groundnut, black gram, green-gram, mustard, sunflower, sugarcane, potato and onion will be covered under the Nine crops will be covered under crop insurance.
: Language Inputs
“This post is sourced from newspapers, magazines and third-party websites. For more information please check NewsNCR Disclaimer“